Orienteering (blue) 1:37:32  6.9 km (14:08 / km) +300m 11:37 / km
shoes: VJ Falcons 2021
Catoctin, beautiful weather out. Worked registration table for a few hours then went for my run. Long walk up the hill.
1) Started off ok. I was high and had to drop down into the control
2) I contoured too much. I still think the "depressions: are not mapped" correctly. I have been in this spot three different orienteering events and I always end up at the depressions. They are closer to the control features than mapped.
3) Straight. Pickup up the parallel ditches. Uphill so was walking most of the way.
5) slog uphill. went by platform 1/2 way there.
7) uphill. I drifted right but spotted the control a way off.
8) Contour along. Pace counting. At the right distance, used the contours along the hill but couldn't find the pit. There were several root stocks in the area so I couldn't use them. Wandered around and eventually found the pit. You had to be right on top to see the pit.
9) Straight'ish. Saw the control from long way off.
10) Dropped down a little too much and had to climb back a little around the green. The side of hill running was tough.
11) Up to the trail. Ran down trail There were people on it so I cut into the woods a little soon. I had trouble reading the contours in this area.
12) Trouble finding the pit again.
13) I got confused. The first platform was under the line which led to my confusion. I then was to far at the edge of hill. I could see the rock but apparantly was still to far away. I wandered a bit.
14) Slow going across the rock.
15) down the hill, got on the ride. Cut in and hit the 2nd ditch. I was apparently too high. I could read the symbols on the map. I think they are supposed to be stone walls but they are too small to show that. All I can see is some sort of rock feature. I climbed up a few, when i didn't see the control I went back down.
16) Didn't see the control then wandered in the unmapped green trying to read the rock. I couldd see the campground road so could tell I was in the correct area.
18) Cut to the trail, down the trail.