Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: roar

In the 1 days ending Jul 16, 2016:

activity # timemileskm+mload
  Running (off-road)1 1:33:05 8.22(11:20) 13.22(7:02) 84527.9
  Strength1 28:002.8
  Total2 2:01:05 8.22 13.22 84530.7

» now

Saturday Jul 16, 2016 #

12 PM

Running (off-road) 1:33:05 [3] 13.22 km (7:02 / km) +845m 5:20 / km
shoes: Inov 8 Oroc 2016 2

IMRA Carlingford. 1st, nice one.

Was a bit late arriving so no warm up. Was still pinning on my number during the race briefing. Fantastic day so I was in the singlet, all suncreamed up. Started calmly and paced myself up to Slieve Foye. There were a load of different routes taken as it was very ferny and people were avoiding them. One guy, Fergus, blasted ahead and got a significant gap. There was a crowd of about 7 then fairly close together with me the second last of them for the power walked for the summit. Brian O'Murchu was 2nd to the summit and I was in 7th 1:40 behind him. Everyone quickly dissapeared then and I took a really nice line off the summit. Caught one Newcastle fella and was ahead of him for the flat bit. Caught a blue guy then two by the lakes. He was running then walking and net going the same speed as me.
Keeping nice straight lines I gained some time around Raven's rock and dropped into the valley before Fox's rock. Looked around but there didn't seem to be anyone about. Climbed strongly enough to the summit where the first marshal gave me a jelly. Second marshal was Kieran Rocks, he gave me a jelly baby and told me I was in 1st, a little to my surprise, had about a 30s lead. No time to catch up with him though and turned back.
Was a little more left around Raven's rock on the way back, legs finding the climbing tough and it wasn't as good a line but I kept my lead until we started climbing Slieve Foye. Then the blue guy and Newcastle guy started gaining on me slowly. I knew once I hit the summit any where near them I had it. they followed me but I was running well on the climb and was still in the lead at the top, but only by about 1s over blue, with Newcastle about 100m behind.
Turned on the descending skill and went straight, down the big crack. Technical stuff and I stayed safe enough. No sign of either of the guys. Got some nice lines through the ferns as it doesn't matter so much downhill and I was able to see it nicely. Did hit a massive gorge at one point and the only option was to go into it. Didn't work out too badly but had to do 100m of fern bashing. Cruised down the road then for the easy win.

Nice to be racing for a placing. Really the kind of race that suited me somehow. Climbed pretty strongly in general and the terrain was great. Very enjoyable day out.
3 PM


Stopped on the way home to go to the beach with Gina. Ate some ice cream and put our legs in the sea on a very sunny afternoon. Very pleasant. Tried to do multiple chores like getting a new bulb for the car headlight and going shopping but everything closed just as we got there.
10 PM

Strength 28:00 [1]

day 4

« Earlier | Later »