Cardiologist appointment. He was running late and I had time pressure, so only got 10 minutes, but it was worthwhile. He knows what the Dragon's Back is and asked 'do you have any targets' - so not a 'just don't run to be safe' type.
General heart state is due to it being trained. However there are a couple of things (that I don't understand) that aren't in line with a trained heart. As such we need to work out if this is due to the training, or something pathological.
To find this out I need to undergo a period of 6 months detraining, then re-test to see if my heart shows signs of reversion (so caused by training), or if it doesn't (pathological)
I knew this was coming but good to know. 6 months is a while but happy to invest it for (hopefully) n years of running in the future. It's also good to know that I'm not going to keel over and die and leave a family behind, something fairly close to home with DazH 10 years ago. If it is pathological and permanent reduced exertion is required then so be it - that beats karking it.
So the aim now is to keep busy and not waste 6 months watching Sopranos clips on youtube and putting on excess weight. Come January I want to be able to phase in training quite easily. I can still run 10ish miles a week at low intensity. I need to confirm exactly what I can do around biking/walking/strength work. I'm actually looking forward to stepping out of running for a bit for a refresh.
Ideas for things to work on/do (listing these for some accountability) so I can #BarberBackBetter (#BuildBackbarber?) are:
- Sort out knees/glutes and build my running strength.
- Sort out slight GI issues (nowhere near as bad as they were but still a bit unpredictable).
- Walking. Plenty of it to maintain some level of fitness. May be a good opportunity to work on an ML qualification.
- Try and dust of my trad climbing 'skills' from my teens, and improve my scrambling etc. Don't want to go into an indoor wall though really!
- Walk orienteering - technical training for a local JK23.
- Move house
- Race marshalling
- Resurrect Tebay fell race?
- Become next PM