Partly cloudy 17℃.
Dutch champs Middle distance, Berkenheuvel. Distance 5.95km (7'52"/km).
First time on new shoes, after giving my dad the old ones since they were too small for me. One size up right now. Felt pretty fit physically beforehand and also during the race. At one point I realised I couldn't keep up technically with my fitness and would want to run faster but didn't dare to. In general not such a bad race, but missed sharpness due to lack of races/trainings the past months and that caused some 1' mistakes. Great race though by Sergey it seems, far out of reach!
1) Slow, had to stop two times to make sure I was going alright. Troubles reading the map at 1:10.000.
2) Wrong route choice (straight better), and insecure in the end. +15".
3) Slow but secure.
4-5-6) Nice flow. Still I noticed I was running too much on compass and not checking the map enough.
7) Drifted, then didn't understand where I hit the trail. Relocated relatively fast thanks to compass. +40".
8) Used compass but didn't check off features along the way, like at 4-5-6. Got confused, couldn't relocate in the vague terrain so decided to follow compass and eventually relocate on the trail to the west. +1'10".
9) Drifted a bit because I wanted to stay right of the line. Hit the trail exactly at the junction with the indistinctive trail, changed plans but got lost in the dense green on the final part of the leg. Decided to relocate off the trail and while running there stumbled upon the control. Annoying mistake. +1'20".
10-11-12) Good. Simplifying well. Exit out of 11 not really perfect but corrected well.
13) Going really well, then misread the contours in the final bit. Thought I was more east. +45".
14-15-16) Good flow, enjoyable orienteering.
17) Had problems switching back from fast running on the trail to detailed orienteering. Sloppy in the final part of the leg. +15".
18) Conscious routechoice (straight was better though), but misread contours after the crossing and went in way too early. +35".
19) Focused all leg but misread contours, staying on the ridge south of the control. Another unnecessary annoying mistake. +35".
20-21-22-23-F) Good. Hesitating a bit to 21 but avoided a mistake.