Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending Mar 24, 2013:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering3 6:54:44 21.14(19:37) 34.02(12:11) 88120 /21c95%
  Running1 54:25 6.86(7:56) 11.04(4:56) 111
  Bicycling3 53:32 2.94 4.73
  Total7 8:42:41 30.94 49.79 99220 /21c95%
averages - sleep:5.8 weight:178.2lbs

» now

Sunday Mar 24, 2013 #

12 PM

Orienteering (Field Checking) 1:41:08 intensity: (55:00 @1) + (35:00 @2) + (11:08 @3) 4.04 mi (25:04 / mi) +155m 22:23 / mi

Cabin John Regional Park, MD. I made an attempt to update the map. I hadn't done any updates since prior to damage that occured during the derecho storm last summer. In general, the park had been pretty well trashed-up by fallen trees and branches. There are still some nice areas but the new damage tended to occur where there were white woods before. I stuck to updating the southern half of the park along the main trails mostly. Given how many trails there were, that covered a lot of the area. I didn't get to the west side of the creek. I jogged along between places.
3 PM

Orienteering (Foot) 3:16:14 intensity: (1:16:14 @1) + (1:00:00 @2) + (1:00:00 @3) 7.28 mi (26:57 / mi) +270m 24:10 / mi

Cabin John Regional Park, MD. In an unusual situation for a Saturday, I hadn't any particular plans so I went back to the park to make map updates on the north half of the map. In particular, I went to capture some new trails that mountain bikers had made. Once again, I stuck to the east side. I found a bunch of new trails which is somehwhat unfortunate. The southern half of the park has so many trails that having fewer of the in the north would make for better courses. The new trails generally went through the better woods though in one stretch, there was some punching through the new deadfall. Similar to what I found in the southern half earlier in the day, the derecho storm had knocked down a great number of trees and significantly reduced the area of nice forest. I kept moving through much of this effort and was pretty tired as I finished up.

Saturday Mar 23, 2013 #

12 PM

Orienteering race (Foot) 1:57:22 [4] *** 9.82 mi (11:57 / mi) +456m 10:27 / mi
spiked:20/21c slept:8.0 weight:179lbs

QOC at Little Bennett Regional Park, MD. Sam Listwak setup a 2 hour score-O today. He'd updated quite a bit of the map for it. It was pretty fun. It was mostly sunny and around 50 F. I felt pretty good having been pretty rested (lazy the last 2 days). I also ran with accuracy. Little Bennett park is not very technical but there are enough hills and green areas that increase the risk and also keep one's brain working. The map today was 1:15,000. It did seem to take longer to get to places but this fact never really dawned on me. I just read my way along spotting features. The one place where it did make a difference was where I pulled-up too soon going up a long and narrow 7 contour reentrant. I got pulled-up a side reentrant too early, not seeing the detail of some much smaller side reentrants before the larger one with a control.

Sam had set the controls with two more obvious strategies: going clockwise or counter-clockwise. I went clockwise, not having analyzed the full map before taking off (it was allowed to look at it before starting). I was a little rushed since I needed to be back in time to help with epunch duties. Controls had different points for getting them. The counter-clockwise route seemed to be the way most people went. There was 8 or 9 contour narrow reentrant with high point totals early for those taking the counter-clockwise route. About 1/4 of the way through, I made two changes of plan and went back to my original decision on both of the--this cost me time but I hit the controls accurately. Part of what was fun about today was the accuracy, and being able to run up most of the hills. I recovered after cresting pretty well such that I was able to get some faster leg turnover on the other side. Over an hour into the course, I took a risk going for two controls that were close together; they were 80 points and 100 points of which there were relatively few on the course. After that I was concerned about making it back on time. I hadn't read the course notes but I figured the penalty for going over time would be high (it was 40 points per minute late). I hit the one control that was in the middle and not part of the more obvious loop, then decided that I still had time to go get more than were on my direct route back. I crossed Clarksburg Rd. for 2 controls, then headed in. If I hadn't gone for the middle control, I could have picked up an extra control or two. As it was, I made it to the finish with about 2:38 left on the clock. I figured that was pretty good efficiency though had I skipped one control near the finish earlier, I would have been able to pick it up at the end. I got 1,360 points for the 21 controls I went to. That got me second place behind John Torrance who was around 1,540.

Wednesday Mar 20, 2013 #

Event: Bike Hour
7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 11:43 intensity: (9:43 @2) + (2:00 @3) 1.5 mi (7:49 / mi)
slept:5.25 weight:177lbs

From Northfield Rd., to Arlington Rd. with Max on his bike, then to the Bethesda Metro Station. It was finally around 40 F and sunny.
8 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 11:44 [1] 1.44 mi (8:09 / mi)

From the Bethesda Metro Station, to Arlington Rd. It was Science Fair night. Max had worked with a friend and had tested whether heavier cars go downhill faster than lighter ones. After hanging around and some rough playing outside w/friends, it was time to go. Max tried to unlock the bikes but something happened. I think he got the lock open just enough for his fingers to slip in a crevase, push some parts, and reset the combination before it was completely unlocked. Peggy had to bring a hacksaw from home. After cutting the lock, we rode back. However, Max was unhappy because his friend and friend's father were getting a ride from Peggy and I made Max ride home w/me. Max used his new light.

Tuesday Mar 19, 2013 #

6 PM

Running (Street & Trail Commute) 54:25 [4] 6.86 mi (7:56 / mi) +111m 7:33 / mi
slept:5.25 weight:179lbs

From 14th & Independence Ave., SW, Washington, D.C. Independence Ave. to the Reflecting Pool, to the Lincoln Memorial, to the Rock Creek Trail, through the tunnel near the zoo, to Tilden St., to Connecticutt Ave. to the Van Ness/UDC Metro Station. It was in the upper 50s F starting out but got down to the lower 50s by the time I was done. Another really strong headwind posed an obstacle until I got to the Potomac River. Though I'd taken my sweat jacket off and that helped me cut through it, the wind almost stopped me a few times near the Reflecting Pool. There were small whitecaps in the pool. However, I was moving pretty well in the first mile; my GPS was off mark starting out but I knew from previous splits. At the river, I no longer headed due west so it wasn't as bad for me. I couldn't say the same for the crew team I saw below. One of the 8 sculls was swamped by waves generated by the same winds. They were passing back inflatable life jackets as a coaches boat was near to provide assistance. The team was calmly sitting in the skull while submerged to the waist. That looked cold but not as cold as it would have been if they jumped all the way in and became more wet. On the trail I continued to hit miles in the 7:30-7:40 range until just before Woodley Park. I decided to extend and go through the zoo but when I got to it, I found that the zoo was closed, still on winter hours. I had new shoes on and this felt better on my feet until the last mile. I climbed Tilden St. hill well but it looked a lot steeper in the daylight. I'd run this route a month ago and was over 6 minutes slower.

Monday Mar 18, 2013 #

11 PM

Bicycling (Rollers) 30:05 [3]
slept:4.75 weight:178lbs

Spinning and watching a movie. I started out somewhat slowly and needed to. Staying with a higher cadence, I was able to keep some good intensity and cover just a little less distance than when under higher torque last time.

« Earlier | Later »