Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending Apr 5, 2008:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering1 2:04:50 6.69(18:39) 10.77(11:35) 20021 /28c75%
  Total1 2:04:50 6.69(18:39) 10.77(11:35) 20021 /28c75%
averages - sleep:7.1 weight:173.8lbs

» now

Monday Mar 31, 2008 #

slept:6.25 weight:172.5lbs (injured)

After having sat down at home yesterday watching basketball and Finding Nemo, I got up and found it rather tough to walk. Putting weight on my left leg hurt a lot. I woke up a few times at night and struggled to turn on my side; when I did, I could only stay that way for a few minutes before needing to return to my back. I even had a dream where I was bounding down the stairs of a tall building--like I used to do not many years ago. Having slept with my knee straight at night, the next morning I found it very painful to bend it. It is painful just sitting in a chair. I suppose that some of the motivation to run more last week was to try to increase my mileage for March. I didn't feel that the distances were very long but for having had warning signs, I should have taken some more days off.

Sunday Mar 30, 2008 #

Orienteering race (Foot) 1:06:20 [4] 7.5 km (8:51 / km) +200m 7:48 / km
spiked:11/17c slept:8.0 weight:175lbs (injured)

QOC: Wheaton Regional Park, MD. It was one of those days when I probably shouldn't have gone out to begin with. I wanted to go since I had a day of rest, since it was Mark Mace's first time course setting, since Peggy's brother Paul was willing to run, and since I had to pickup controls later. However, I wasn't mentally prepared and had been worried about injuring my left knee more. I played with Max a bit while waiting for Peggy to finish and my knee loosened up nicely. By the time Peggy was back, it was after the official last start time. I should have gotten to a bathroom before I left but didn't--something I regretted the whole race. Being warned about errors people were making on #1, I went out confidently and quickly. However I quickly lost track of reentrants that I'd passed. With #9 directly in-line with #1, I ran up to #9 and was perplexed when it wasn't my control. I ran circles and then kept misinterpreting trails, etc. Had the battery not run out on my GPS, the track it would have shown would have been ugly. I kept thinking #9 was #1. Finally figuring it out, I ran across a trail on a ridge and straight to it--It was a nine minute leg which should have taken me 3 minutes or less. After that, it wasn't much better. I went inefficiently to #2, then left it badly. I was hesitant to #4, and badly read the 4-5 leg as 4-6. My navigation improved after that however my knee didn't. It started hurting on the way to #8. The need to go to the bathroom kept me from thinking about it too much. The entire day, I had not read the map well and I ran too fast in light green areas. My strength held up okay but was not very strong either. Ultimately, I did more damage to my knee. Mark's course was fun though there were a lot of dog legs; the course got me to a few controls which no one had used before that I could remember.

Orienteering (Control Pickup) 58:30 [2] *** 3.27 km (17:53 / km)

Wheaton Regional Park. I picked up controls in the eastern part of the park. Having cooled down a bit, I my knee was stiffening up. I had to walk several times but pushed on. Traveling along slopes was painful. Besides the controls, I picked up a control stand and 2 water stops.

« Earlier | Later »