Orienteering race 2:01:29  5.77 mi (21:03 / mi) +319m 17:58 / mi
shoes: Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra2
Pacing was still off since I was using a 1:10,000 pace count. And continued to have problems with using the thumb compass to follow a bearing.
Orienteered without glasses after control 1 since it was raining. In the end was out too long and was having problems holding my compass on the map with my thumb!
1) fastest time (I must have run up the hill faster than everyone else and it wasn't raining yet!)
2) Run to trail, then go to second junction. Measured over 350 m from trail. (actual distance 550m!) My pacing was on, but I drifted up hill. At end of pace count I thought the reentrant to the right was the reentrant next to 2. found the green control, but I thought that was the one below 2. made it all the way to the trail (GPS trace is short of trail) Took a second bearing from rock next to trail (13:22 lost!)
3) went to trail aiming off, then saw the same rock again (with the brown contour around it) and went 100m to the charcoal pit (oops again I am using 1:10,000). Left from the wrong charcoal pit and at paced 400m and landed at the rocky ground that was next to control so I went to the left. relocated on the trail. (3min lost)
4) I liked this control. Went to the knoll/spur and used as linear feature. At trail started pacing again. Saw the Rocky reentrant and then the control.
Tom's route looks better since it was on trail for a good distance.
5) To trail, found charcoal pit next to trail took a bearing drifted left in the rocks. Saw the end of the rocky ground and went up.
6) went to road (a little too high) found water stop and counted down 2 water drain pipes (black x) and tried to contour. Again that 100 m's was really 150 m and I was going nuts!
7) drifted too far up hill. Took a second bearing from the plastform next to the 2nd trail. Drifted right up hill? Saw the contours of the edge of the hill.
8) Trail to trail to attacking from the rocks.
9) so cold all I saw was the road next to the control and ran - into more briars. backed out and went left!