I decided to rerun the Long course and try out some different route choices (in Atlanta, had hours to spare before my plane was going to take off).
After event a couple of weeks ago, expresso had questioned a number of my choices and pointed out potentially better routes on a few. On some of the others, I just ran different to switch things up. Definitely did not feel like racing, but I was hoping I could just run cleaner and make better choices.
So, on 1, rather than taking pretty much the very safe road trail the whole way, I decided to take use the marsh as a handrail and avoid all the hills and run more direct. It worked out really well. I wasn't paying close enough attention to my map on the initial trail section and was confused when I hit a "creek" but the trail went the wrong way. Wrong creek. Time was 1:20 longer though. =(
Still, I liked that route better. Didn't tire me out. Even though the day was hot. Maybe if I had run it confidently on race day it would have been a good choice.
2. -:50Kind of same route as last time, not many other choices, still bungled it, but saved 50 seconds on this leg.
3. +20 sec.. I ran into a tree and bruised my forehead, had blood streaming down. Still bleeding when I got to airport (after cleaning it) and had people asking "are you okay"? I wonder if I'm in an abusive relationship with this sport. I keep making excuses for it.
4. +13 Hard to find the pit, especially so without the flag. Stopped a few times to wipe of the blood.
5. +1:25 I went through the marsh and it slowed me down, although I spiked it. Original route wins but next time I'll try another way.
6. + 1:35 Stayed away from high route to campground.
7. -:50 since i wasn't distracted by spectator control
8. -:35 Should have been a lot more, since I messed this one up two weeks ago and ran around in circles. Must have been fast circles. This time, used the long hill as handrail. Worked great.
9. +3:00 and change, twisted an ankle, came out in the wrong spot, took some time wondering where the big stream reentrant was. Then, bashed my shin (was in shorts, no gaiters) and rolled on the ground for a while. Another big bloody broooze. (I kind of like them though).
I also thought.... if I get seriously hurt, I can just post on attackpoint that I'm between 9 and 10 since I had my phone. But, it felt fine after 30 seconds or so.
10. -1:30 or so, messed this one up less than last time. Still a miss
11. -:45 Using route suggested by expresso (why didn't you just run to the trail? ) and I even ran much slower this time and saved a good bit. Much better.
12 -.05 Just wasn't as tired so it was easier to keep moving
13 -:10 Easy control, just not tired again i think
F +15. just jogged it in
Total: about six minutes over. Very fun. Easier for sure once you've already done it once! Weirdly, my gps distance was less than the course distance.
Then I had to rush
to the airport, because i remembered what a pain in the neck that airport is!