Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Orunner

In the 7 days ending May 4, 2013:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Running3 3:06:50 19.5(9:35) 31.38(5:57)
  Field Checking1 1:10:00
  Orienteering2 58:21 3.23(18:04) 5.2(11:13)
  Walking1 45:00 2.25(20:00) 3.62(12:26)
  Total7 6:00:11 24.98 40.2

» now

Saturday May 4, 2013 #

11 AM

Orienteering race 25:34 [3] 2.1 km (12:10 / km)
shoes: Vavrys - studded rubber cleats

It was an achey morning. I really was not up for an Orienteering activity. I felt as if I had no choice. Mike Minium and I set the control stands on Thursday. Matthew had designed the courses and arrived early enough, after returning from his business trip, to place the SI units. Mike and I vetted the courses and updated the map.

There were two Sprints. I selected the first one, also the shorter one, to start. The first control was a dogleg over a bridge and back. So much for my course vetting efforts. Although a design faux pas, the first two legs were still suitably enjoyable as a Sprint.

Girl Scouts had been arriving just before I did. They set up camp in each of the 3 or 4 major platformed-tented clearings. They safely secured their gear and personal thingies on the cots (widely in view and within reach), and gathered in their little circles doing girl scout stuff. Then as it turned out, I came running through each of theses serine settings - repeatedly. Disturbing their peace and God's intentions for all. I was uncomfortable. I presume they were. I deliberately tried to avoid both their position (but not by much; I'm far too competitive to run out of the way) and any eye contact, while attempting what might be perceived as a smile - not a comfortable feature for this continence. hopefully I did not scare the little things nor ruffle the feathers of the young biddies looking out for their care.

Like much of our local world the camp is full of Honey Suckle. And it is in active filling out mode, eliminating visibility, limiting passability, and exponentially increasing uncomfortability. I hate the day it was brought here from wherever, and damn to hell the boat it was brought on. Although I secretly do not fault the individuals responsible. I'm guilty of more heinous crimes.

5 to 6 I headed for the swinging bridge. I had experienced its persuasive personality on Thursday and knew it swayed to my unliking. Unfortunately as I approached its northern end there were four of those little girl scouts standing at the base of its steep ladder-like entrance. I prayed they would stand still, hearing me coming, and wait to see what all the commotion might be. Indeed they did.

As I got within earshot one of the green suited little devils says,"you will have to wait for our troop to cross." I immediately respond, "May I pass?" and at that same moment I see the last, I presume, of the five. She is a chubby little thing, given the whole bridge to herself, it dancing up and down, and her hanging on in mixed terror and delight, while she approached from the far side.

Without a second thought I headed down into and across the deep gully. It was a a physical feat. But I was in and back out before Miss Girl Scout finished her trek.

As I approached number 6, I recalled how thick the middle green was around the subtle shallow re-entrant there. Matthew regarded it as a bingo control and in retrospect I must agree. I had some difficulty in placing the bag there on Thursday, but succeeded in aiming off the trail at the top of the hill where the vegetation was its thinnest. Unfortunately I overran this position today and entered the woods lower and where it was much thicker. This cost me dearly, but not as much as it must have cost Mike, for I beat him well on this leg, and on the course overall by a mere 8 seconds!

12 PM

Orienteering 32:47 [3] 3.1 km (10:35 / km)
shoes: Vavrys - studded rubber cleats

The second sprint was longer, had more controls, and might have been an opportunity to gloat. But my approach to the first control, already famous in the first sprint, decidedly made all of the difference in my favor not.

I attacked from the left in an effort to avoid the darker green. But in so doing I never saw sight of the reentrant. I can only guess I passed high and to the bags left. But I am not sure. After a great deal of time I hit the trail beyond the bag and started over. Phooey. Not a good way to set ones disposition; missing the first control.

3 - 4 - 5 - 6 were kind of fun running in circles, changing direction, and doing so at lightening speed.

Crossing the creek from 10 to 11 was a risky move. I lowered myself down a cliff using saplings and Honey Suckle branches, acting like a man 20 years my junior, and reminiscent of a severe accident just 1.5 years ago. I probably could not have found a to cross.

Thursday May 2, 2013 #

7 AM

Running 1:01:15 [3] 6.5 mi (9:25 / mi)
shoes: Wave Nirvana 3

Rough night. Too much beer. Not enough sleep. Yet the run went well. Thank God for running with a partner, or I'd still be in bed.
11 AM

Field Checking 1:10:00 [3]

field checking, vetting controls, and placing stands for Girl Scout event at Camp Stoneybrook.

Tuesday Apr 30, 2013 #

7 AM

Running 1:01:57 [3] 6.5 mi (9:32 / mi)
shoes: Wave Nirvana 3

I try to stay aware of the pending weather. Emphasis on 'try'. Even when successful, I suffer from another affliction - forgetfulness. Last evening I was up late enough to catch the late evening news before turning the TV off. I left the quiet confines of our living room where I had been reading peacefully while enjoying a fine ale. It was late and running was on schedule for the morning. So I headed to the bedroom where I would resume a bit of reading before drifting off into the unconsciousness.

The remote was in my hand and about to be used to power off the tube, frequently left on in the bedroom, when something attracted my attention. The man on the screen caught some background thoughts in my mind, a sense of familiarity; I was unable to not watch. It was Steve Horstmeyer of the Channel 19 news, the weatherman, Fox XIX personality, and an acquaintance from my past. (I used to nod good morning to him as he was setting up for the early morning broadcasts out on Fountain Square as I crossed between the cameras and he, on my way to work, at 5/3 bank, IT department, 23rd floor.)

Steve Horstmeyer has always reminded me of another Steve, Steve Hoekzema. Steve Hoekzema is the father of my former number one cross country runner, Julianne Hoekzema, now Knapp. Anyway, there is this explanation regarding my subconscious locking onto the TV screen.

As I recall the forecast was pleasant enough for running with one added quality, not rare but uncommon, that went noted, but in this case, unremembered. I had completely forgotten the entire episode of the prior evening by this morning and was thus prompted to rechecking the weather on my iPhone while dressing to run. By this time I was comfortably unconcerned with the mild temperature, lack of wind, and zero precipitation. I prepared to run 'naked' and went on with my routine. One that ran over by a minute or so, due to needs that I will spare you of details.

In order to fulfill the time element of the understood contract I have with my running mate, Steve Smith, I hustled out the door and rapidly jaunted across my lawn, selecting the shortest distance to make our morning rendezvous. It was then that the series of events occurred that jostled my memory and led to this rather long explanation of a yet to be mentioned experience.

Immediately, I sensed my feet were getting wet. Quite wet. The grass was saturated with the morning dew. The sky seemed overcast. I searched for Steve, but did not see him. Good. I had not held us up.

But then there he was, stooped over, tying his shoes. He always is tying his shoes, as if it is something that just came up unexpectantly. But how did he appear so suddenly? Aha! There's fog. And that is what Steve Horstmeyer had said there'd be. Dense fog.

As we ran down the Boulevard I noted that we could not see a thing past the cars on the highway. And things do indeed reside in normal view immediately across the lanes of OH128. We both acknowledged that we must be more alert than even usual, as the traffic will not readily notice us, and certainly, with far less warning if they do.

We survived the foggy run along our most dangerous stretch and 1.5 miles later were running on the bike path underneath the High/Main bridge, looping counter clockwise up to street level, bringing the East-side of town into frame, and a view of the bridge. And here is why you have read all of the above:

The view of the bridge was as a painting. For just a moment, we were observing a beautiful structure, under perfect conditions. This bridge, only a few years old, is a modern architectural classic. Full of gingerbread and ornateness, it stands out under normal conditions. But for a few seconds this morning, in a dense fog it was picture perfect, museum quality, Disneyland worthy. From where we observed, a little lower than street level, and from a diagonal, there was not a car in sight, just the structure, the river, the geese and ducks, the fog, the sculptures, the manicured lawn, the flowers, the lamp posts; It was like a dream. The archways melted into the whiteness. It had no end. There was no far side. It could have been a painting of Paris along the Seine. It was Monet-esque; only I understood it. It was one of those moments that make all others worthwhile; a time that a camera would find its purpose. But now, only my mind and words can capture what a flash drive did not.

As we continue to round the curving walkway up to the top, in view comes the traffic, the sky, and buildings from across the way. It was almost as if there were no sounds but that of nature, then the hubbub came into awareness. And on we ran. And the dream was over. But there is more.

A quarter mile later, we were crossing in front of the Marriot and through the parking lot between it and St. Julie’s. Another, not lessor, but different, image presented itself. Running more or less directly towards it, I did not have to look away and so, this time I just stared and imagined how I might have framed it in a picture. It was the tower of St. Stephen’s Church (now St. Julie’s Parish.)

The sun had risen 30° or so in the sky. It was burning through the thick-thick fog. It hung like a giant incandescent lamp just to the right and below the top of St. Stephen’s steeple. Although the sun penetrated, nothing else but the church’s tall Gothic arms were visible, back-lit in this frame, adding grays I cannot describe, and hope to never forget. It was the most beautiful I have noticed this structure ever being. Its copper green domed top, with spiked corners, clock faces, and matching end spires, stood out in faded view. Shadows blended into whiteness. The cross hung magically without noticeable support in the sky over the top of the tower. My mother would insist it was as God intended. I do not propose to know God’s intentions, but I appreciate his work.

The run was good.
6 PM

Walking 45:00 [3] 2.25 mi (20:00 / mi)

leisurely walk with Dottie

Sunday Apr 28, 2013 #

7 AM

Running 1:03:38 [3] 6.5 mi (9:47 / mi)
shoes: Wave Nirvana 3

« Earlier | Later »