Orienteering race 1:10:17  *** 7.2 km (9:46 / km) +235m 8:24 / km
spiked:13/16c shoes: VJ Falcons 3 (yellow)
US Champs Long Distance course on Fishtrap Lake map near
Sprague, WA. Very open scabland terrain with lots of rock underfoot and many areas of complex cliff detail. Sunny and in the upper 70's with an 11:51 start made for hot conditions.
Had a very good run after the first three controls. Lost a minute on #1 not seeing the control flag when I was standing just above the cliff it was on. Overshot #2 but caught it quickly when I hit the trail beyond (and down a 2-3 contour cliff line) - ~3 minutes lost. Lost 20 or 30 seconds on #3 chasing to an adjacent feature. Then navigated well for the rest of the course.
Was 3rd overall on Green Y, 2nd in M55, but fastest US (of all Green runners!). Woohoo - US Champ!
Forerunner measured 8.512 km.
Notes of things to remember for US 2-Day Classic Champs:
- Use 4 mil plastic bags (preferably heat sealed) for map cases.
- Have enough water at control sites so that it doesn't run out.
- Offer more refreshments at the finish than just water.
- Encourage those presenting awards to use an expedited format.
- Communicate details about walk to start well before the day of the event.