Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Cristina

In the 7 days ending May 25, 2008:

activity # timemileskm+mload
  Running4 2:24:00 12.9 20.76 100235.0
  Cycling3 2:20:00280.0
  Orienteering2 1:55:51 4.44 7.14 22018 /33c54%313.3
  Total6 6:39:51 17.34 27.9 32018 /33c54%828.3
averages - sleep:6

» now

Sunday May 25, 2008 #

Orienteering warm up/down 20:00 [2] ****

Out on the model for the middle in the morning. It was enough to scare me.

Orienteering race 50:09 [3] **** 4.04 km (12:25 / km) +160m 10:22 / km
ahr:179 max:202 spiked:7/15c

Spent a lot of time thinking about how slowly I needed to go, and how I wasn't going to beat anyone on speed, and how important my compass was going to be... and I have no idea what happened on the way to the first control. I thought I was being careful, but I guess I was checking off features that were a bit too vague. I also did things like think, "there should be a permanent control marker up ahead to my right", then looked for it, didn't see it, and decided it was too small to worry about if I didn't see it. Then I saw features that didn't make sense - a small pond, for instance - stopped to figure out what was going on, but then just kept going without figuring it out. Somehow I ended up past the control but south of the 5th control, right near Angelica's trajectory towards the sixth. Went to check out where she had come from and used that to attack 1. What a mess! Six minutes lost at least, as while I was flailing about Viktoria punched and passed me.

That seemed to knock some sense into me, and the next few went fine. Caught back up to Viktoria around the 6th control and we were more or less together through 10, she mostly pulling ahead. Managed to spike 11 and 12, thought I'd been able to get ahead, but then bungled 13. So did she, so of course that's when Sam shows up and showed us up. Ran as hard as I could manage for the last two controls, but those two were way gone.

Even though I did manage to navigate okay after the first control, even now looking at the map I have a really hard time visualizing much of the terrain. I think I spent a lot more time than usual looking at my compass and map, and so I don't remember that much of what I saw. Whatever it is, I need to orienteer in that kind of stuff a few more times before I can say that it doesn't scare me anymore.

6th in TT results, I think, with Sam first in 37:26.

Saturday May 24, 2008 #

Orienteering 20:00 [1] ***
shoes: Paul (inov8 Mudclaw 270)

on the model map for the sprint.

Running warm up/down 10:00 [1]
shoes: Paul (inov8 Mudclaw 270)

warm up and stretching before the start. The walk up the hill to the start also served as a good warmup for the warmup.

Orienteering race 25:42 [4] *** 3.1 km (8:17 / km) +60m 7:34 / km
ahr:186 max:199 spiked:11/18c slept:6.0 shoes: Paul (inov8 Mudclaw 270)

Well, no disasters, which is always a good thing, but lots of running arond things hastily and a few instances of gong right by the control. It wasn't so much speed that was the issue in this sprint as speed at which I can navigate cleanly. I haven't run very many sprints that were tricky enough to be that kind of challenge, but this was definitely one of those. Prbabky the most challenging.

A very nice map and a very good course, overall downhill, which means I had more energy for faster running... Which led to more small mistakes. Not the run I wanted to have today, but at least it was fair and fun. I feel like I've plateaued (is that how that's spelled?).

Thursday May 22, 2008 #

Cycling (road) 30:00 [2]

On to base to the track for some fitness tests. It had been widely advertised that the gym would be closed today for a dedication ceremony (it will no longer be "the new gym"), but no one had mentioned that the track would be, too. Luckily we hadn't started the run when the cops showed up to kick people off - one guy was in the middle of his test and had to stop! So we moved to the road by the flightline instead. Couldn't understand why we couldn't use the track, especially two hours before the ceremony, until we saw that they were using the infield as a helo landing zone during the ceremony. They should have just said so...

Running (road) 41:00 [2] 4.3 mi (9:32 / mi)
shoes: Gus (Asics 2120)

Running home from work. First, the power went out while I was trying to wrap stuff up before the weekend. Then I discovered that I had a flat on my bike. No tools or tubes, and I was the last to leave to squadron, so I had no choice but to run home. Not a bad experience, especially since it's downright chilly for May. Almost got thunderstormed on, too, but that would have made it a triple-play, which is just too much luck for one day.

Wednesday May 21, 2008 #

Running (trail) 50:00 [2] 4.5 mi (11:07 / mi) +100m 10:24 / mi
ahr:166 max:180 shoes: Asics B&Y

New levels of ridiculousness last night at work. The most important impact was that I was able to come home hours earlier than planned, which made it possible to get to bed early enough to get up and run this morning. Made it out to the Broadway trailhead by 6:30, and it was a gloriously pleasant 73... when I started running. Got a little warm by the end, but nothing like yesterday. Legs still feel heavy, though.

There is now a sign on the trailhead board about increased cougar sightings in the area. They've even closed segments of trails that appear to go through cougar habitat for safety reasons. My route didn't take me quite to those segments, but I still ran without music for the first bit. I like to at least pretend that I'd be able to hear one coming. I don't know why I'm so much more freaked out about cougars than snakes, wolves, bears, or anything else, but I think it might have to do with the fact that the idea of having my neck snapped by what is essentially a large kitty just throws my world view for a loop.

Cycling (road) 25:00 [2]

In to work. Hellacious wind. Might keep us from flying, even.

Cycling (road) 30:00 [2]

Ride home. Still windy and I missed the Swan gate by about 1 minute. The wind, probably normal by Laramie standards, was too much today. I never even took my helmet out of my locker.

Tuesday May 20, 2008 #

Running (road/dirt) 43:00 [1] 4.1 mi (10:29 / mi)
ahr:168 max:184 shoes: Gus (Asics 2120)

Morning run, bike path. Working tonight and I needed sleep, which means I couldn't pry myself out of bed until after 8. Not so great - it was already about 90, but it felt even hotter and my legs were pretty stiff and sore from Sunday's activities. I ran as slowly as my body seemed to want to, but it still wasn't fun... and I came back three pounds lighter than when I left. Yikes.

Monday May 19, 2008 #

Cycling (road) 35:00 [2]

In to work and to the optometry clinic and back. Apparently my eyes still work.

Cycling (road) 20:00 [2]

Ride home after a long day and in some heat. I think I will call today the first day of summer for two reasons: 1) it was the first day we hit the glorious temperature of 100F and 2) it was a weird day at work for me, with an abrupt change in office jobs. I haven't yet determined whether or not this is a good thing, but it seems appropriate to start a new season mentally with the new job. First thing I did was check to see if there was a good place to park my bike in the new office. (There is.)

« Earlier | Later »