Orienteering race 33:05  *** 2.3 mi (14:23 / mi) +98m 12:42 / mi
spiked:11/13c shoes: Yellow Falcons
Morgan Territory. U.S. Middle Champs. 3.1 km, 140m climb. 10:38 min/km (9:14 adjusted for climb). Start 12:30. First overall on Brown X.
Intentionally went out faster than usual, trying to capitalize on the sprint-O training I've been doing. Nailed the first 8, really pushing it, with the fastest split on 7 of those. But I guess brain started tiring then. Inexcusable 50 sec error on 9, nearly 4 min error on 11, though still had leading split on 10 and 13 and second on 12. Fortunate that I managed to hold on to the lead.
Without the 4 min error, adjusted-for-climb pace was 8:06, essentially the same as I did two days later in the Sprint.
1. After the T-intersection of the fire roads, the map shows an indistinct trail heading in the direction of #1. However, didn't see this on the map because it was covered by the red line - but also didn't see it in the terrain, so no harm done. Soon did see a quite distinct trail a bit to my left, so thinking that it was the one heading to #1, hopped on it. But as it started to go uphill a bit, I realized it was the trail a little further west. No problem, that one was also headed pretty close to #1, so stayed on it, keeping my eyes right, and soon saw the bag.
3. Initial thought was to run along the top of the ridge, but once near #2, realized that would be too rocky, so went a few meters to the right than ran keeping the rocky stuff on my left.
6. Had to walk the last 80m uphill, legs feeling quite tired.
7, 8. Kept pushing anyway. Didn't know this until much later, but had covered the first 2.1 km, 95m climb, in 18:42 and had a 3:16 lead.
9. Ran essentially due S to where the ditch meets the trail, then headed up on the trail, noting that I should stay on the trail until the top of the rise. I think at that point I started working out the details of the next leg; when my attention returned to the present, I was at the top of a rise ("What, already?!" I thought), so turned right. Within 10 secs, with nothing making sense, realized I had left the trail far too early, at the top of the spur N of the broken fence. Corrected from there. 50 second error.
11. After another fastest-split on 10, the wheels came off as I headed for 11. I was confused almost immediately as I saw a big drop off to my right. I had intentionally gone a bit right to make sure I didn't go straight up the reentrant heading SW, but had I overdone it and drifted to the edge of the hill? Attempted to correct by going left, and then thought I was in the reentrant W of the control when in fact I was in the one to the E. Very stupidly ran around in a big circle like a madman, turning back to the W when I saw the fence to the E. Finally recognized that I was in the big clearing with the vegetation in the middle, just WSW of the control, and so finally got there. Nearly 4 minutes lost.
12, 13. Managed to run two more good legs. Was very fortunate that my early lead enabled me to stay in front despite the large error at 11.
Walking warm up/down 20:00  1.0 mi (20:00 / mi)
shoes: Yellow Falcons
Walk to start, mostly with George.
Running warm up/down 10:00  0.9 mi (11:07 / mi)
shoes: Yellow Falcons
Warm up back and forth on road near start. Felt ready, though not quite as good as I felt on Wednesday. Definitely feeling some anxiety.