Orienteering race (Sexy Forest) 2:18:54  ***** 9.1 km (15:16 / km) +325m 12:57 / km
Maple Grove. There's no way I was not gonna run today regardless of the hole in my foot. After three days of competition with my f-ups getting worse and worse I had to put it right. Also I had been looking forward to the long all week. So I doped myself up before the start and jogging was ok. Actually did much better than the spike rate and the time suggests due to a long rest in pain before 11 and most mistakes being mere 30 seconders.
1) Shudda been more confident but started looking around for it a bit early. Fortunately found a rocky pit with a control in it and used that as a attack point.
2) Went thru two blocks of dark green unnecessarily on route.
5) Used a boulder attack point but somehow ended up on the wrong end of the wall - map dodgy?
6) Lost contact near the circle - slight hesitation relocating.
8) Spent a minute or so looking for it a bit too high up in the reentrant.
9) Worst mistake of the lot on the easiest control. Walking around in circles (badly) using the force.
11) Stood on something hard that pressed right against yesterday's wound. F that hurt. Sat down for well over ten minutes, considering retiring but was as far away from the finish as the course went. Pain slowly went away so carried on.
16) Small miss but not my fault. Centre of the circle was boulder field but control was SE on boulder.
19) Small miss - overshot it navigating by out-of-date veg mapping.
It has to be said that Maple Grove in Fundy National Park is an awesome forest (another justification for running whilst being injured) with 6 different types of pine and some fantastic rock and contour detail. Although the vegetation on the map is a lot out-of-date it is obv still possible to navigate near-perfectly as Holgar Hott's times suggest.