Orienteering 45:00 
US O Team & FLO A meet: Sprint/Model
Energy level and legs ok -- no complaints. Top priority is to observe, get a feel for the contours, and understand the vegatation; racing was secondary. Started out easy. Train of people in the middle of the course made nav. easy. Running with Dylan at the end. On the way to C10 a thorn went through the topside of my shoe and it just kept getting worse. Foot distraction and poor map reading caused me to miss C11. Kind of ran/hopped in to the finish. Pulled a nice 1cm thorn out of shoe/foot. Warmed down running part of course again. Found a couple of the dry ditches just to see what those were like.
Stategy for weekend:
* Contours are indeed my friend and very readable.
* Strict compass control needed to read contours.
* Run with eyes/head up to take in big picture and broad features.
* Hill tops are helpful for locating and good views.
* Didn't think major trails were that bad to run on, particularly with the rain.