Notes prepared by Erin, Guy and myself for today's Board meeting:
Everything we’re doing will go a long way toward fulfilling OUSA Strategic Plan goals (as well as the long-term goals in Erin’s contract):
- PARTICIPATION: Increase participation in orienteering: membership, starts, volunteers
- JUNIOR TEAM
- “Consistent, improved performance at world, North American and United States levels focusing on more consistent team member performances.”
- “Re-invigorate the junior development program.”
- SUSTAINABILITY: Increase revenue
Two major areas of focus
- Elite program (increase competitiveness in international races)
- Kids’ programs (recruit many more families)
The first phase addresses both current orienteers and bringing in new orienteers:
- Junior Standing Team: support top juniors year-round
- Coaching tailored to each athlete; local mentors; training plans; training opportunities
- Junior Development Team: for all American kids who are already into orienteering
- Creating opportunities for kids to learn the skills of the sport, including setting courses, coaching, mapping, technology of running a meet.
- Contributions analogous to what parents pay for other sports, to be spend in the same year on grants to clubs for local development programs.
- Fun map running programs: bringing in new kids & their families.
Over time, these national teams will be run locally instead of at the national level.
With this scope in mind, we will out line requested changes to:
- Rules for selection for JWOC. [JWOC is a developmental step as athletes aim toward WOC.]
- Competition format.
What we ask of the Board:
- We’re developing local programs; those programs need seed money; we believe they’ll be self-sustaining in ~ 3-4 years; we believe they are sellable (compelling programs that sponsors will want to support); we want to work with Glen to find sponsors and grants for the seed money.
- How best to communicate and get feedback from the Board?
- Help us encourage clubs to participate and work with us.
- Financial policies that give clarity and consistency with team budgets:
- Policy that donations do not reduce the amount OUSA contributes to the teams.
- Transparency around carried-over money.
- Do not require getting to balance of zero in order to avoid losing OUSA contributions.
- We would like to purchase a team equipment set: a traveling case containing epunches, flags, download machine, cameras.
- Help us share our vision and make it happen.
- Continue to support us – these things have made a big difference:
- Donna’s ideas and collaboration for ONA articles
- Peter Goodwin’s help and feedback on many things
- Lou, Glen & Peter helping with budget
- Robin giving us accounting info
- Valerie Meyer with rankings data
- The board and anonymous donors for creating the paid contractor position for junior development
- Etc etc etc!
Some things we’ve done in the first 4 months:
- Designed the new JST; currently accepting applications. Planning inclusive European trip.
- Talking with 4 clubs (COC, BAOC, NEOC, DVOA) about programs to bring in new kids, and talked to GHO to learn about ARK
- Club contacts to JTESC
- Made progress toward JWOC selection changes, JDT
- Worked with kids at every A meet and a couple training camps. Started developing training plans.
- Started coaching email list; clinic.