Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending Oct 12, 2015:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Bicycling8 3:45:25 58.57(3:51) 94.26(2:23)
  Orienteering1 50:20 5.2(9:41) 8.37(6:01)
  Total9 4:35:45 63.77(4:19) 102.63(2:41)
averages - sleep:6.3 weight:186.7lbs

» now

Monday Oct 12, 2015 #

3 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 12:00 [3] 1.55 mi (7:45 / mi)
slept:7.25 weight:186lbs

From Northfield Rd. to Hartsdale Ave. and back. Peggy and I had a conference to go to. Earlier in the day, I had moved some heavy boxes of tile around and done some asphalt work which also involved lifting some heavy bags. My back hurt more than it has in a while afterward though it's not clear how much of that was from the day before.

Sunday Oct 11, 2015 #

10 AM

Orienteering (Foot) 50:20 [3] 5.2 mi (9:41 / mi)
slept:7.0 weight:188lbs

Fall Short Series, Washington, D.C. Gary Smith had been putting together an orienteering map of Washington., D.C. for a few months and today he was able to share it with us. It was a pretty nice map and it made for a fun day. It was 1:5,000 map and we did a score-o. Coincidentally making it more complicated, there was the Army Ten Miler going on at the same time, and the Taste of D.C. being setup. Both events caused the closing-off major roads (parts of Independence Ave., and Constitution Ave.) and these weren't even crossable by the orienteers on foot. These obstacles didn't mess up things too much since the score-o didn't cross the Ten Miler route, and there was some room to get around the Taste-of-D.C. by going off map half a block. There was another obstacle that got me; one of the sculpture gardens used for control sites was not to open until 45 minutes after we'd started. I was pretty familiar with most of the areas that we had gotten to but I just forgot about the time constraint which Gary had warned about. I ended up going to that sculpture garden, then having to return later. I ran and orienteered well enough though I was not quite ready at the start due to settling the kids (Gary watched Samantha--she and Max rode the Carosel which is right next to where we started/the same carousel location that I rode when I was a kid younger than them). Right after starting I had gotten to the first sculpture garden and gotten 2 controls, then went back for my eyeglasses. I saw orienteers scattered about. Dave Onkst and I ran some legs close to each other until I had made the mistake of going to the sculpture garden too early (Dave was running faster than I). At least one tourists who had been sitting near a control site (most were statues which we were not marked and we were not to touch any of them, being on our honor to just get close), cheered me on as she saw me and probably others running up with a map. The weather was perfect for this--sunny and in the upper 50s F starting out, then warmer in our 1 hour time limit. The event was well attended, around 20 or so. Several of us got all of the controls. My back hurt some after this.

After the training, we got lunch, then visited the Natural History Museum. Max was surprising drawn to the gem and mineral exhibit (he remembered the Hope Diamond from a school field trip), while Samantha was drawn to the mammal exhibit. I think they both liked using the trains too. Even later in the day, I spent a couple of hours doing yardwork. My right heel/arch hurt throughout the post orienteering activities though it didn't when I was running the score-o.

Saturday Oct 10, 2015 #

2 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 40:00 [3] 6.21 mi (6:26 / mi)

From Northfield Rd., Jefferson St. to Madison St., to Grant St., to Southwick St., to Old Georgetown Rd., to W. Cedar Ave., to the Elmhirst Pkwy., to the playground near the Cedar Ave., and Beach Dr. intersection, then Beach Dr. to Connecticut Ave., to Parson Rd., to Spring Valley Rd., to Jones Bridge Rd., to the Bethesda Trolley Trail on the NIH grounds, to Maple Ridge Rd., to Park Ln., to Custer Rd., to Northfield Rd. Samantha wanted to go for a ride so we did; me towing her. She pedaled but it wasn't very noticeable for most of the time. We enjoyed the nice sunny weather. We had made a stop at the playground In Rock Creek Park before getting going again. I stayed on Beach Dr. rather than use the trail since it had rained recently but as we rode, I did see the new pavement on the trail which both took the bumps out of it and also raised it to be above most of the mud. I would have gone further but we were running out of time. We had to get back for Max's soccer game, and my mom's birthday celebration.

Friday Oct 9, 2015 #

slept:6.0 weight:185.5lbs (rest day)

I worked hard and long today, like all week. By the time I got home with dinner, it was time for family movie night and rest. At least this time I hadn't dragged my backpack along under the illusion or hope that I might run after work again.

Thursday Oct 8, 2015 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 35:50 [4] 12.1 mi (2:58 / mi)
slept:5.5 weight:186.5lbs

From Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD, to 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C. I felt okay starting off. As I hit the CCT, I was right behind another rider who was about my speed. I stayed behind him through to the sewage treatment plant, then I returned the pull all the way into Georgetown. I kept up the cadence and effort. I realized it'd be about the fastest that I've ridden into work this year, so I continued the effort. The conditions were pretty good with no wind and a temperature of about 56 F starting out. There was some fog.
6 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 43:30 intensity: (33:30 @3) + (10:00 @4) 11.9 mi (3:39 / mi)

From 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C., to Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD. I had avoided it all year (partly by not bicycling to work as many days) but I finally let myself get locked-into the courtyard. I just had too much happening at work and needed to get it out before leaving. I rode pretty well but got slowed coming through Georgetown. As I passed Fletcher's Boathouse, another guy whom I've ridden behind earlier this year passed me quickly. A second guy passed soon after. He didn't look very fast and was possibly older than I, but I kept up pace behind him. It turned out that half a mile later he pulled-off. I got slower in the last few miles. I was a little tired from the ride in the morning. It was dusk when I got home and Max, who had been leading a group of neighborhood kids on a ride, had just finished at the same time.

Wednesday Oct 7, 2015 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:15 [3] 1.4 mi (4:28 / mi)
slept:6.0 weight:187lbs

From Northfield Rd., to the Bethesda Metro Station.
8 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:30 [3] 1.41 mi (4:37 / mi)

From the Bethesda Metro Station to Northfield Rd. in the dark. I had planned on running after work but work didn't end soon enough.

Tuesday Oct 6, 2015 #

8 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 37:50 [4] 12.1 mi (3:08 / mi)
slept:6.0 weight:187lbs

From Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD, to 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C. It was 45 F just before I started. I felt like I was going to be cold so I wore removable arm sleeves. After a quarter mile I was feeling pretty good. I didn't feel particularly strong. I slowed on the few climbs that there were. However, I did keep passing people all the way into Georgetown. One guy I'd passed started drafting off of me while hanging back a ways. I was sweaty as usual by the time I got to work.
5 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 43:30 [3] 11.9 mi (3:39 / mi)

From 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C., to Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD.

« Earlier | Later »