Orienteering race 1:20:55  *** 5.4 km (14:59 / km) +185m 12:48 / km
spiked:12/19c shoes: New Balance 890
Great CNYO A meet. Weather held up and so did my legs.
There were three on the weekend, but I only entered the middle distance (cost/time/ability).
First experience at an A-meet, and I purchased gators that came in very handy. My shins thanked me over and over. (Though the knee was unhappy that it didn't get protection)
Overall did well - only 11 minutes behind Mike.
Biggest time issues:
- failure to read map well - I need to get a magnifing glass, as the reading glasses won;t cut it...-(
- failure to plan good routes based on above...
- anxiety over lack of map pre-read - recreational events allow several minutes to look over map and plan - need to find a way to do that quickly - esp with the lack of vision noted above...
- leg strength & conditioning - better than before, but still need to work on.
- several good routes - taking into account my abilities and the nature of the map.
- 1->2 - used trail and hit it well.
- 2->3 - path & trail was good, lack of speed was not;-)
- 3->4 - ran trail nicely.
- 7->8 - streambed idea was good, time would be better if I was able to run more.
- 9->10 - (simple) paths & trails worked well.
- 10->11->12->13 - simple decisions
- 14->15 - path & trails with least effort required.