Well, I didn't have to make the early induction decision after all! I went for my 38 week appointment last week and the biophysical profile was not good - his heart looked fab, but the little guy hadn't really grown in two weeks and my amniotic fluid was borderline low. OB suggested we induce right away, and I agreed, so after running to CVS to get passport photos for our green card change of status (our dates came current completely out of the blue, yey!) we headed to Labour and Delivery.
Turns out I was already 3cm dilated on arrival, so was probably ready to go very soon anyway, so we skipped all the nasty cervix softening stuff and went straight to pitocin. My waters broke at 8.15pm without any intervention (weirdest feeling ever), and within half an hour my contractions were super regular and strong, and unfortunately 2.5 mins apart. Any thought of going without an epidural went out the window, I was getting no break and it was horrible. It took four people to hold me still through a contraction while it went in, and then I got about an hour of relief. Then things started hurting again, contractions needed breathing through despite max pain relief, and the nurse said little guy's heart rate was decreasing with every contraction - it was go time! Pushed for a grand total of 11 minutes and he was here. Euan Carlyle Kitchen, 6lb 3oz.
Since then, he's been going great guns - back to his birth weight by day 4 and feeding like a champ. I'm in no doubt we made the right decision and very happy to not be pregnant anymore. He's feeding a lot so I'm super tired, but these days will pass. We made it out to the Fells for a twenty minute stroll this afternoon and was surprised to see that autumn is in the air, and the trip outside was rejuvenating.
I'm not going to post pictures of him (though if you follow my Mum's blips I've made an exception for that), but if you'd like to see pics then drop me an e mail.