Essi came down and we went out for a training run. We did a Madness style course, but both of us his every control. We tried for hours last night to get it up onto 3DRerun, but it was glitching. Later today Essi is going home and she will upload the routes onto a quickroute, then I'll do my analysis :)
Before the run I decided to focus on double checking my compass bearing and always trusting it while I was tired, and to have a plan going to control one.
1. Going to one I was focusing too much on not making a mistake and not enough on how I was going to get there. In my head I make the simply plan to follow the river up, but I never checked off any features for where I was going to, and didn't keep enough connection between my compass and map. In the future I will try focusing on obeying my compass and finding lots of big features as I head to control one
2. I tried to keep a good compass bearing and keep my heads up to hit the reentrant right on
3(F). Went fairly smoothly, I didn't do a good enough job keeping focused though, so I almost miscounted reentrants. Picked off each one well though and mineralized climb
4(E). Kept to the bottom of the reentrant until I spotted the final spur then I pushed up it
5(D). Followed all of the trees, right between them, to the right of the first though. They lead my right in to the reentrant
6(A). The green patch had been completely cleared which was awesome, I just kept a hard compass bearing with my head up and went down the reentrant, it was really steep so I went down slowly...
7(B). Just hugged along the reentrant
8(C). Compass bearing, the first green was open but a cheap change in vegetation so I checked it off then continued with my head up
9. Compass bearing to the corner of the spur down, then once I was on the field I had to go around a sledding fence, thus the odd route
10. Follow the road
11(BB). Over the little reentrant on the spur and just went right in to the control
12(EE). Up the spur for clear running, almost forgot to go to my control, so I had to back track. I need to keep more focused while tired and on easy routes.
13(CC). Compass bearing over to an easy part where I could cross then compass bearing to the reentrant
14(AA). The small hill was not clear so I used a hard compass bearing with my eyes searching for the beginning of the reentrant
15(DD). Compass bearing
16(FF). Compass bearing with my eyes up, I wasn't confident that this was the right reentrant
17(GG). Compass bearing but I got confused as to what I was looking for so I slowed down as I came into the control to make sure I hit it.
18. Compass bearing to the trail junction then to the route with the least around of running, I think I picked right
19. Hard compass bearing once I was across the parking lot, it was extremely hard to see and I almost second guessed myself and turned around but I held on long enough to finish through
20. Zooming Home!
Things I did well:
-I did a really good job trusting my compass when I was getting tired or had nothing but it to look at
-I did a good job recovering quickly and not letting it mess up my other controls
How I can improve:
-Going to the first control I need to rely heavily on my compass to keep me in the right direction, and have strong checkpoints along the way to the control
-I need to have more faith in my abilities to hold a compass bearing
-I need to be much more aggressive when going down hills, I lost a lot of time on all of my descents