Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: simmo

In the 7 days ending Mar 29, 2016:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Road cycling2 3:34:01 49.65(4:19) 79.9(2:41)
  Orienteering3 2:14:06 6.96(19:16) 11.2(11:58) 120
  Total4 5:48:07 56.61(6:09) 91.1(3:49) 120

» now

Sunday Mar 27, 2016 #

Orienteering race 49:00 [3] 4.4 km (11:08 / km)
shoes: X-Talon 190

Easter Day 2 at The Murdering Shed - an appropriate name for my outcome.
Was 2nd last starter 2 mins ahead of Terry B. Stuffed up 1, visiting a wrong control 100m W of mine, and lost 1 minute. After punching I didn't see in my haste that the best route was to follow a deep and very dry erosion gully to 2; instead I climbed out of the gully and followed the N bank, getting caught in some green in the process. Arrived at 2 in time to see Terry punching.

The calf had been ok, and found that I could run after a fashion as long as I didn't put stress on lift-off with my right foot, so I was 'running' with the left and 'shuffling' with the right.

Stayed together with Terry through 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7, where it would have been tricky for one of us to get away anyway. (Terry's not fast any more either, having had age-related problems of his own.) During this section we picked up a train including Kevin W and Jim L.

7-8 was a long leg, where we appear to have all separated with me going further left up a very steep hill, not to avoid climb, but to cross the hill above a broad gully leading down to 8. This was a good option because I gained the best part of a minute on Terry. The next leg was even longer (1.2km) but had a good track option from about 400m in. Terry caught me just as I reached the track. This was a bit up and down, but I was managing to stay ahead, then with about 100m to go before turning off the track at a small thicket, on a steep downhill I stubbed my toe and took a flying dive. Terry stopped but I waved him on because I knew we'd been going well and he would be right up there (he ended up winning by 2 mins). When I got up there was blood everywhere and a deep cut between the 4th & little fingers of my r. hand, and more blood streaming down my cheek. My glasses were on the ground and covered in dirt, but when I picked them up I noticed a piece about the size of a 5 cents missing from the middle of one lens. It was pretty obvious that I shouldn't continue, so walked along the track about 400m to the finish and went straight to the Ambos tent.

They cleaned up a bit of blood and put bandages around my head and hand, (see PP's FB page) then said I should go to hospital. PP got the car and we set off back to Canberra. The hospital process took a total of about 5 hours and included pulling the 5c piece of glass from a deep hole in my cheek, stitching that up, then after lots of anaesthetic and panadeine forte, putting about 10 stitches in the webbing between the fingers. Thanks to Trude in the Ambos tent and Dr Oliver at Canberra Hospital Emergency. Now I have to see a hand specialist back in Perth, which we will be going home to early as I can't do our planned 6 days of rail trail riding in central Victoria.

Useless speculation: probably would have finished with Terry, and in 2nd or 3rd on the day. Day 3 might have seen me in 3rd overall because Terry came 2nd overall 20 mins in front of 3rd.

Saturday Mar 26, 2016 #

Orienteering race 53:55 [3] 3.8 km (14:11 / km) +120m 12:15 / km
shoes: X-Talon 190

Day 1 of Easter in Canberra at Isaacs Ridge. Applied two strips of K-Tape, and the calf wasn't feeling too bad by the time I'd walked up the steep hill to the start.

Started at walking pace, then jogged a bit on the longish leg to 1, and jogged the level/downhill parts of 1 to 4. Lost about 1.30 at 4 and .30 at 5, then on the long leg to 6 the calf tightened so started walking. The final loop from 7-13 was in a very steep and rocky pine plantation with low visibility and some green. Lost concentration after 9 and did maybe 2 mins at 10. From 12 it was downhill so managed to jog the rest of the course with some discomfort in the calf.

Surprised that, with my lack of speed and 4+ mins of mistakes that I was only 6 mins behind the leader (Alex).

Road cycling 1:25:40 [2] 36.8 km (2:20 / km)
shoes: Bike: Bianchi Coast to Coast

After lunch and a rest, we set out to do the Western half of the Lake Burley Griffin cycle path. Joined the path about 2km from our apartment in Curtin and headed clockwise (we'd previously done the whole Lake anti-clockwise on hired clunkers 3-4 years ago). As we got closer to the City the path (never fast at the best of times) became busier. We went to look for coffee trying the National Library first but their cafe had just closed. Further along the Lake shore we found a stall near the High Court where they served some reasonable lattes, and then started to close up as we were drinking it.

Followed the path along the South side of the Lake to Yarralumla then took a path Southwards to Curtin again.

Friday Mar 25, 2016 #

Event: #NIN3DAYS

Orienteering race 31:11 [2] 3.0 km (10:24 / km)
shoes: X-Talon 190

Easter prologue - by the first control my fears were realised and I'll be walking the 3 Days. Started with 2 other M70s on the same course and ran slowly to the first control, but the calf tightened up just before I got there. Thought about walking back to the start, but decided to walk the rest of the course. Spiked every control, but did 2 short (10m) 180s out of 11 and 16 - must get my control rhythm back so that exit is planned before punching.

Wednesday Mar 23, 2016 #

Road cycling 2:08:21 [3] 43.1 km (2:59 / km)
shoes: Bike: Bianchi Coast to Coast

Similar, but longer ride than yesterday, going the opposite way on the rail trail to Woori Yallock and back. All up about 18kms on the trail. Set my phone up this time, and recorded 82.5km/h down the 19% hill. A bit scary, had difficulty holding the front wheel, probably unstable due to the oversize tyres.

« Earlier | Later »