orienteering race 1:26:18  8.0 km (10:47 / km)
really great course on a pretty good map. the vegetation was a bit wonky and i found this one huge cairn that wasn't on the map (and it definitely would've helped if it had been there) but mostly it went pretty well.
1. took the simple route around on the trail cutting in just after the boulder to the clearing.
2. this route actually turned our pretty good... just finding the control was the problem. went out to the highway and then jumped back in where the trail was closest. and this is where things went very very badly. cut in from the trail even though i didn't know where i was and ended up much to far west. just a disaster in there, relocating off 2 different trails, and then after about 6min, did i finally find the control. my relocating was alright. i didn't spend time wandering around in the woods hoping to find the control. i went straight out to the trail, it's just the getting to the control once i've relocated... didn't work out so well today.
3. easy control... mostly on compass
4. another easy one, seemed to come up really quickly though.
5. leaving 4, something weird happened, either the trail was a lot farther than i thought, but i was running, and running, and running, and no trail. so i just took a bearing and ended up way too far south from the control. recovered alrigh though, so i just ended up running on the main path, and then contouring to the control. probably lost about 1 or 2min.
6. back out to the main trail, cut in just after the pond, the clearing was a bit confusing, but i saw the control so it was alright.
7. trail run right to the end of the clearing and right down into the gorgeous re-entrant. yes it really was gorgeous, but you had to be there.
8. right down the trail to the swamp and then contouring right along to the control. i should''ve had an AP that was closer cause running along i had no idea where i was and was getting a tad worried.
9. right back down to the trail and swamp again, except we got to keep going right into the most runnable running woods of the whole map! great running but i had to slow down a bit cause it was completely flat and i didn't want to miss the control.
10. spiked this one!!! man it felt great!!!
11. another smooth one, came out right at the trail junction and from there it was a piece of cake.
12. i decided to go around by the trail cause i hadn't really looked at this leg yet, but it was alright except for running through the field which was awful cause it was almost over my head.
13. messed this one up completely. just like at 2, i went in off the trail without knowing where i was which resulted in about 9min of trying to relocate going to control 2 and then to an unmarked cairn, and then to 3 and then finally to the control.
14. nothing much to say about this one.
15. nice simple trail run allll the way around the swamp. control was tricky to find since from this angle, it was hidden behind the boulder.
16. this is where the map got really crazy!!! i came out into this huge field that wasn't on the map and i only found the control cause i got to the rocky ground which was just south of the control.
17.18.19.finish super duper easy for the rest of the course. no mistakes thank goodness.