Orienteering race 16:19  3.88 km (4:12 / km) +36m 4:01 / km
shoes: Adidas Ultraboost
Can't be pleased with that, similar story to Pentlands SOL with the orienteering at the beginning being the big letdown. Settled down alright after getting into town but pace crashed hard in the heat. Things to work on are reading under pressure and being calmer, making time for decision making.
1. Did not read enough, going right was faster and I went right, but then got confused by fences and hedges and thought left would be quicker so I saw an opportunity to go left and did that instead. Lost ~20 seconds.
2. Looked like a right left option to me, couldn't tell if a hedge was open or not while running because a control number was in the way. Went towards where I thought there was an opening, realized there wasn't, turned and went left. ~15-20 seconds lost.
6. Got done by the route choice. Out the gate, turned left... artificial barrier. I try to save it by ducking into a path that will take me to the right option, which isn't good already, but the damage is done. Around ~30 seconds, most likely a little more than that. A little awareness would have brought me back past 2, easy money.
That little section of three mistakes dropped enough time that I would have been relatively pleased with the rest of my race with that part done right. This is obviously a common problem for me; so many times where my racing is competitive but it does not hold up over a course. It seems clear to me that that is a primary skill to focus on.
9. Went left, didn't quite read the passage to the finest detail because it looked VERY difficult to screw up, but alas there was an unmapped set of stairs that I'd argue did not look very private, lost a few seconds running up and back down. Maybe the route wasn't good either because lost ~12 seconds total.
12. Seem to have lost around 5 or so seconds going right. Map flip, hit the control and just kept going down the road because I didn't see any blockages and saw a way to the control. Was slower than hitting the control and turning around and running back down the road the other way.
13. Don't know which way is faster even now so I'd say a decision is a decision and I executed.
14. Good, read correctly and took the advantage.
15. I can see it being faster to go left, lost around 5-6 sec?
16. Was swayed by the Italian ahead of me, went right, don't think it's a bad route but it seems faster to go straighter and left of the line. Not bad though.
A lot to chew on and mull over but not now, got this write-up done but now it's time to relax for the long.