Plan for long
- perfect bearing out of control
- Know next cobtrol direction
- Control circle visualization
- If feel uncertain, complex stay on bearing and read map ping pong
- Focus on my own success, no mistakes
Felt good before the races A little pain in the lower leg still but good to go. Mentally clear and relaxed. Set off strong .
1 cane in easy. Terrain was nice running clear visibility. Chose the mid route to 2 wasn’t too wet and went well curving round to crag. Off to 3 started straight but forested area in middle was not nice to jumped out of it. Happy with route . Into control was a little unsure how it would look, so kept an open mind and good bearing to find the best running. Worked well, counting rides and using green forest.
Many of the legs straight was best and keeping eyes peeled for the feature or an ap to bounce off. When few features were available, counting rides could have helped or looking at the map a little more closely. There is usually always something.
5 sloppy out bearing got me in a mess. Misinterpreted marsh for open area.
7 just had no plan just bearing then panicked near control and guessed. Could have used features I found better. Strength was lacking by about this point and body was giving tired signals. Had felt the same half way round yesterday. Not much power to push and therefore reached a sort of steady state speed that I tried to maintain. Think a test week is in need.
9 went well, up rentrant and aimed a little right to slip into control without hesitation. Long leg kept it simple. Paths were quick. Easy to lose focus on the bearing important I have clear aps.
Drifted a little right on 11 due to open area. But corrected well. Though technical section was quite happy. But losing focus easily. Problems started with 14 bearing out. And not picking small features to aim off. Keeping close to the line with quick feedback loops running a little slower worked well.
19 pissed me off as boulder was almost hidden by leaves and sticks you couldn’t see it, so I lost some time here. I could have had more faith in my map reading. And sloppy on last control, bearing versus excitement.
- start great clear head relaxed and strong
- Visualization of control works well
- Bearings out were good but some could be better. Actually some were much worse than I realized
- There is usually always something to navigate from
- Often features under line were ones I was on
- Know expectations before control and head up eyes wide open
- Vegetation boundaries pulled me about
- On the line quick feedback loops and a little slower
- Keep going until the end