Sunderland, MA, US
Sep 3, 2016
Next entry deadline: Aug 31, 2016
Type: Orienteering - World
added by: PG
Three days to go --
Still have a few slots open for last-minute entries (by tomorrow night, please).
The courses are all figured out, barring any "Canadian" changes. While there is quite a collection of wild animals in the maze (see about the 2-minute mark of the video), the authorities are still OK with us going in there. Bear spray is optional, not required.
Map -- more or less 1:1,000. No contours. The animals and other man-made objects in the maze are not mapped, just the corn.
Updates on the courses. Note that teams of any size are fine at all events, but going solo is always permitted (except for the Party).
1. Classic. 17 controls. Distance (optimum route) is about 2 km. Expected winning time: 10-12 minutes.
2. Sprint Shuffle. 12 controls. Distance unknown but less than the classic, maybe 1 km? The first control must be taken first, the last one last. For the rest you can go in any order.
3. Trail. 4 controls, all marked by balloons, mark the location on your map. All are at dead ends. Just one class (to save the high-tech folks from embarrassment). Bring whatever gadgets you want.
5. Night. 29 controls. Handicap -- you may skip anywhere from 1 to 10 controls, depending on how good you are (or, one could say, how bad you are).
All the above subject to change, of course. Though the one thing not subject to change is the one rule of corn-maze O' -- no cutting through the corn.
Entries (50) --
Ken Walker Sr.
Choon Yee Tan
To enter, see below.
Two and a half weeks to go and we have a map! My comment below is true -- it seems a little less complicated than prior versions, but still ought to be fine.
Entries are now open, the limit is 50. To enter, send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following:
SI number (if you don't have an SI e-punch stick, you can borrow one)
e-mail (if you are entering more than one person and have different e-mails)
1. Classic. First start 5:30 pm, 30-second intervals.
2. Sprint. First start 6:15 pm, 15-second intervals.
3. Party after the sprint at Bub's BBQ, with an alternative version at the Bridge Street Grille (another local spot).
4. Trail-O. Anytime before it gets dark. Once again, open and Luddite versions.
5. Night. Mellow mass start 8:30 pm. New rules (once again). In fact, the rules for each event may be different than before. :-)
Four weeks to this year's visit to Mike's Maze. Seems like time to pass on a little bit of info:
-- There is a maze, meaning the corn has grown nice and tall despite the meager rainfall, and a bunch of paths have been cut in it.
-- Rumor is that there is also a map, though I haven't seen it yet. I have every expectation that there will be one available to us as some point.
-- I walked around in part of the maze. It seems a little less complicated than prior versions, but still ought to be fine. For some of our regulars, a little less complicated might be a good thing.
-- We are set for the late afternoon and evening on September 3. That's Saturday of Labor Day weekend, same as last year.
-- The schedule will be a little different, basically starting later in the afternoon. The maze is open to the public that weekend, until 5 in the afternoon. So the first orienteering start will be about 5:30, with the Night event starting about 8:30.
-- Last year we had 5 events: Classic, Sprint, Party, Trail, and Night. This year we'll probably have something similar. But not exactly similar, always have to change something.
-- Entries will be first-come, first served, limit of 50, pre-registration only. But we're not open for entries yet. (I'd like to see the map first to make sure it will work. Ran into Mike at the Post Office today and he said he'll get after his daughter-in-law, the designer, to send me a copy. We'll see.)
I'll keep you posted here on AttackPoint.
|1,515 days ago|
|•||Update on the 2016 Corn Maze Champs||77|
Sign in to add this to your calendar
|87.5||speedy I wish, but no.|
|79.4||Joe (log) no running for me, mtb version? maybe trail O|
|71.6||Ari-o (log) If it's Sunday, maybe. Wedding the day before relatively nearby.|
|69.2||jjcote Gotta keep my streak going|
|57.0||PBricker (log) Haven't missed one yet. And still lots of room for improvement :-)|
|56.1||o-maps if I get in the first 50|
|43.6||Charlie (log) + Rhonda|
|stever (log) Regardless of sound mind or body. (Never stopped me before.)|
|GuyO Been hooked since 2012|
|chinghua Bringing Matt and Jake!|
|Evalin B (log)|
|iansmith (log) On the warpath|
|exRacerX Hope to be there, if/when it comes off!|
|acjospe (log) Unlikely - coaching this weekend :(|
|dness Breaking streak :-( Returning to US from Sweden Sep 2. Expecting jet lag.|
|Aug 20–21, 2016||CNYO Regaine - Letchworth State Park East|
|Sep 3, 2016||NEOC: Belmont Wanderings|
|Sep 10, 2016||DVOA Hickory Run Sand Spring|
|Sep 10–11, 2016||UNO Camping Weekend|
|Sep 11, 2016||DVOA Hickory Run Sand Spring|
|Sep 11, 2016||WCOC Town Forest|
|Sep 17–19, 2016||2016 US Two-Day Classic Championships and Sprint Relay|
|Sep 19, 2016||Mike's Maze, volume 2|
|Sep 23–25, 2016||North American Orienteering Championships 2016|
|Oct 9, 2016||WCOC Paugussett State Park|
|Oct 16, 2016||Nobscot Reservation|