To reach the event site from the Seattle area, you can take either of two routes that take similar amounts of time:
1. I-90 E to Ellensburg, I-82 E to Yakima, then Hwy 12 and 410 W to Bald Mountain Road (between mile post 104 and 103.)
2. I-5 S to Tukwila/SeaTac area, I-405N, Hwy 167 S, Hwy 18 E, Hwy 164 E to Enumclaw, Hwy 410 E to Bald Mountain Road (shortly after mile post 103.)
The second route may be somewhat more scenic (passes near Mt. Rainier) and is substantially shorter in distance.
Whichever of the above routes you take, follow these directions from the junction of Bald Mtn Road and Hwy 410:
1. Turn North onto Bald Mountain Road (National Forest Road 1701), which will be about 0.2 miles after the yellow junction sign for Bald Mtn Rd (from either direction). There is a large "for sale" banner at the junction. The road surface is fairly fine gravel and easily drivable.
2. After 1.5 to 1.6 miles (and after a set of switchbacks), stay right then stay left to remain on the main road. Look for orange and white streamers after the junctions to let you know you're on the right track.
3. Continue on Bald Mtn Road for a total of about 3.8 miles, at which point the road reaches a flat area at the top of the climb, with a wide junction of a few roads.
4. Turn right at the big junction onto National Forest Road 1712, then right again after about 100-200m.
5. Go 3.4 miles on NF Road 1712, noting the orange and white streamers to guide you at junctions. Much of this road is either rutted or quite stony, so drive carefully. High clearance is helpful but not necessary.
6. The start/finish (Hash House) is along NF Road 1712, at lat/long coordinates (46.84514, -120.90336)
If coming from SeaTac Airport, allow 3 hours to the turnoff, then another 45-60 minutes after leaving the pavement.
By the end of the year will there be anyone who will have competed in the US Classic Champs, the US SML champs, the COCs, the NAOCs and the NARCs?
Alex Kerr? Sharon Crawford?
Thanks to using an accumulation of frequent flyer points I have been/will be at all but the NARC.
Please login to add a message.