Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Discussion: Yes

in: Becks; Becks > 2011-04-12

Apr 12, 2011 3:33 PM # 
Sure. I thought we already offered our car?
Apr 12, 2011 3:51 PM # 
Could you phone your insurance and check it will cover me - Kat said it was a pretty basic kind? Also, will it pass the general test of roadworthiness? It seems to be running okay!

This is what the DMV website says:

A properly registered and insured vehicle appropriate for the type of test you are taking. If you do not have a valid driver's license you can not test in a rented vehicle.
Valid Motor Vehicle Registration Certificate. Please verify that you have the current registration in the vehicle before you leave home and bring it into the office when you arrive for your test.
Connecticut Insurance card. The proof of insurance must be in the same name as on the registration, with the exception of leased vehicles which may be in the name of the lessee. Please verify that you have the current proof of insurance in the vehicle before you leave home and bring it into the office when you arrive for your test.
License Fee: The fee for your license, will be either $66 or $77, depending on the number of years the license will be valid (from five and one-half to seven years), which depends on your date of birth. See acceptable forms of payment.

It's weird that line about a rented vehicle, I do have a valid UK licence. I might call them to check whether I can use a Zipcar, as I'm used to driving them around.
Apr 12, 2011 4:39 PM # 
Seems to me that since you can legally drive a car with your UK license that you should be able to use a rental/ZipCar. Worth a call...

The other option is a driving school. I had friends take their tests in a driving school car - the instructor sat in the back seat and stayed silent, I believe. But probably this is pricier than a ZipCar, and certainly more than Boris and Kat's car.
Apr 12, 2011 5:07 PM # 
The problem with that option is CT requires you to have at least two hours of lessons in the car before taking your test. At the place I did my 8 hour course, this package cost $365! So I would like to use that as a last resort!
Apr 13, 2011 9:50 AM # 
it's a bit of a trek but I could probably/possible/maybe/perhaps arrange for you to borrow Tara's car. Only problem is it's in Ridgefield, about an hour's drive away. Not sure how easy it'd be to get there by public transport...
Apr 13, 2011 9:51 AM # 
it's fully insured etc, I drove it last year, assuming you're still in your first year and your uk licence is valid?
Apr 13, 2011 2:01 PM # 
Thanks Andy/Tara! The problem may be that I am slightly over a year (20 days), but my last reentry (which is the only info in my passport) was November. So I'm not sure how strictly okay it is, or how likely they are to check at the DMV. I should try and find out.
Apr 13, 2011 4:15 PM # 
Don't ask, don't tell. National policy.
Apr 13, 2011 4:37 PM # 
Neil's American Studies program is going well.
Apr 13, 2011 4:44 PM # 
Okay, think I am sorted. It appears Rob may well be coming over, and so as long as Boris gives his permission, he can entirely unillegally drive me to the test station, thus solving all of the potential problems.

Unfortunately this has less good news for the potential of my attendance at Pond Mountain/Harriman. Why can't we switch the next two weekends?!
Apr 13, 2011 8:11 PM # 
What!!!???? Rob can come. No problem.
Apr 13, 2011 8:22 PM # 
I know that! But it's a bit rude to make him go orienteering when he's flown all the way over for ten days. What with him not liking it and stuff.
Apr 13, 2011 8:24 PM # 
He can be the Easter Bunny and lead an Easter Egg Hunt. All the kids would love it;-}
Apr 13, 2011 8:25 PM # 
Maybe if he brought real European chocolate with him ;)
Apr 13, 2011 8:29 PM # 
That would be most welcome.
Apr 13, 2011 8:30 PM # 
Great idea George! :-) and yes Becky, will need to be the good stuff!

This discussion thread is closed.