And, in case you're interested in knowing more about the curriculum:
This is the 4th session, of 6, in the 3rd grade orienteering unit. The lessons are as follows. We are attending lessons 3 & 6; the teacher teaches the others, working from our lesson plans and with equipment we provide like maps and clue sheets.
- Boundary. Gathering. Animal-O (in order; faster; from memory).
- Orienting and orienteering with a geometric pattern map.
- Sequence with electronic timing:
- Helper hides animal pictures.
- Try a different 5-animal course. (Kids have to talk to each other to find out where some of the animals are.) Time the entire class as a whole.
- Test their geometric map reading
- Reading and doing courses with a picture map.
- Introduction to ISSOM map
- Race on an ISSOM map with electronic timing.