Reminder: WCOC NRE (A meet) and Training Camp, Sept. 22-23
We are hosting a one-day NRE on Saturday, Sept. 22, with training events, coordinated by Greg Ahlswede, on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, Sept. 23. Come for just the NRE, or just the training, or both.
PLEASE email me (Rick DeWitt, email@example.com) if you are planning on attending, even if you’re not sure you can make it.
More info below.
30 Years at Pond Mountain (National Ranking Event/A-Meet and Training Weekend), September 22-23, 2018
• Where: Pond Mountain, Kent, CT
• Hosted by Western Connecticut Orienteering Club
• Events: National Ranking Event (A-Meet) on Saturday, training courses on Saturday afternoon and Sunday.
• Camping will be available at the meet site. There is no fee for camping; however, we encourage campers to make a modest donation to a fund for the junior team.
• Pre-registration for NRE strongly encouraged but not required. Cost for NRE $10 for individuals and $15 for families.
• To pre-register, email Rick DeWitt (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include name, SI (dibber) number, if you have one, class and/or date of birth.
• Payment and waiver form will be handled at the meet.
• Start any time between 10 and noon. No pre-assigned start times, though there will be a start crew to hand out maps and assure a minimum 2 minute window between starts on the same course.
• Information on the training camp can be found here: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/b94f74_d4ab8ec5d5cb...
• Directions: From Kent CT, take CT341 west out of the town. After 1.6 miles, take a right onto Macedonia Brook Road. After 0.8 miles, turn right up Fuller Mountain Road. After about a mile, look for O signs to parking and the meet site.
• Google maps link to meet site: https://goo.gl/maps/K7k6wGRn91D2
Pond Mountain is a gorgeous mature, mostly deciduous forest, with very little undergrowth (e.g. laurel) or invasive species. It is fast, rocky, and steep. This year marks our 30th year of using the map, with the original map dating from 1988 (Goodwin), with updates by multiple people since then (Dominie, Walker, Despard). The map was last used for the 2016 Senior Team Trials.
Event Director: Rick DeWitt
Registrar: Rick DeWitt
Course Setter: Niels Lyng-Olsen
Course Vetting: George Walker
Training Camp Coordinator: Greg Ahlswede