We remain (very) cautiously optimistic on being able to have something available for Ski-O training and warmup at Windblown on Saturday and Gunstock on Sunday. With snow conditions as of today, not enough snow remaining to support anything of value, but we are closely watching the forecasts for what might be rolling in on Thursday evening and Friday.
Backup plan 1 - If Gunstock gets enough snow, but Windblown doesn't and has to cancel, we are looking at having controls out at Gunstock both Saturday and Sunday. Extent of grooming will depend on depth and timing of snowfall, as well as how fast we can scurry around in the woods on snowshoes for the narrow trails.
Backup plan 2 - someplace further north with snow.
Watch this space for further updates.
Thursday evening update - Windblown on Saturday is still on. Forecast is for snow and some rain at different times of the day, but expecting adequate snow cover for a good event.
Gunstock on Sunday is canceled - base is mostly gone. Forecast is for at most 1-2" and with temps rising into the 40s on Saturday there won't be adequate cover for an event.
Alternate options for Sunday are uncertain - will post here if something can be firmed up.
Just got word from Aims Coney that Windblown will be closed Saturday, so therefore, the Ski-O of Saturday March 3 has also been cancelled.
There is excellent skiing in the Mt. Washington Valley;
Jackson Ski Touring has over 50 km groomed, about 40km of these have been groomed today. http://jacksonxc.org/trails-conditions/trail-condi...
Bear Notch is also grooming daily almost all of their trail system. I am guessing 20 - 30 km. http://www.bearnotchskitouring.com/
There is a Ski-o map of Bear Notch. Note: Dotted trails are not permanent.
Saturday’s ski-o is cancelled. Unfortunately the forecast didn’t work out this time and not enough snow fell for Windblown to open.
For those looking for a place to ski in NH this weekend -
has links to most of the XC centers.